This designation is offered by the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils. The candidate must meet the following requirements:
- be licensed to practice law
- have spent the previous five years with substantial involvement in estate planning
- have completed 36 hours of estate planning continuing education in the previous 36 months
- pass a written examination
- provide five references, and
- provide proof of professional liability insurance coverage.
To maintain the designation, the applicant must complete twelve hours of continuing education each year and be recertified every five years. The examination does not have to be retaken to recertify, but the other requirements must be met again.